Thursday, January 1, 2015

30 Paintings in 30 Days - Day 1

"All the World's A Stage", 24x36", Oil on canvas, ©Victoria Page Miller


Happy 2015! New year and a happy new beginning! I am excited to begin a 30 Paintings in 30 days project. It coincides perfectly with my goal to create a fresh new series of paintings. I plan on challenging myself and not limiting myself with any preconceived ideas about what I can accomplish. I have a general direction in where I want to go, but I'm also open to surprises.

I hadn't posted this painting yet, and it's perfect to kick off the series. The painting addresses a few things. "All the World's a Stage" alludes to the famous passage in Shakespeare's As You Like It. It also has to do with youth, the power of friendship and the yearning to transform oneself with costume and play.

The carnival holds particular allure, in that it is here today, gone tomorrow. Elusiveness, mystery and the passage of time are all important themes.

The background has passages of thin washes, and also heavy impasto brush strokes in the inky night. The girls are absolutely confident in character and brimming with optimism.






1 comment: